Saturday, September 29, 2007

She loves me, she really loves me!

Any of you who have, or have had, teenagers knows that even for the sweetest, kindest ones, the world pretty much revolves around them and only them 99.8% of the time. Really, they wouldn't be normal teenagers otherwise. They need money, they need rides, they need you to be available for philosophical discussions when they feel like it and they need you to leave them the heck alone when they don't. That being said, I thank God on a daily basis for my daughter, because despite showing a lot of this typical teenage behaviour, she is so well grounded. She's smart and funny and best of all, she has a solid set of values, knows who she is, she's not into mob mentality and doesn't compromise herself for anybody.

For example, she knows she's no hockey fan. Despite her brother playing the game for the last six years, and despite her mother being a bit (ha!) of a Senators fan, she pretty much turns her nose up in disgust at the very mention of hockey. She'd rather wash floors than go to a Sens game. She didn't get swept up with Sens Fever with the rest of the city last June. But the other day, when Dany Heatley (Senators #15) came to speak at her school, she listened with interest so she could tell me all about it in detail. And when the mob lined up to get his autograph, she lined up right along with them. When I came home that night, she was bubbling with excitement and couldn't wait to show me what she had brought home for ME. Check it out:



My very own autographed Dany Heatley picture. My first Sens autograph. And tangible proof that not only does my daughter love me, she "gets" me. She really gets me.

PS - no word from dh re my previous post ... guess it's confirmed then, he's not a blog reader!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaw, that's so sweet of your daughter! I love that you guys have that connection. I hope my kids grow into teenagers who'll still talk to me and be seen in public with me. lol

Anonymous said...

That's too sweet! :D Congrats on your newly acquired autograph!