Saturday, September 8, 2007

Let the Games Begin

In our house, one of the major signs that summer is over is the start of the hockey season. And no, I'm not referring to my Sens as per prior post; I'm talking about our son's minor hockey house league experience - now entering Season 6. Sixth year in hockey! Where has the time gone?? I can still recall the first year he participated in organized hockey. He could barely skate, and I could barely tell the difference between a jock strap and an elbow pad. Putting ds in hockey was dh's idea, and the idea was accompanied by assurances that I would not need to be too involved, dh would take it on. Ha. He had the best intentions, but my dear husband is not a morning person, and at the first signs of a 6:00 a.m. practice (and there were plenty of those!) I became a Hockey Mom. (For the uninitiated, please note that Hockey Moms are just like Soccer Moms, except we wear a lot of warm layered clothing and we don't need to bring any lawn chairs to practice).

While I still can't quite explain what the heck an offside is, I think I've come a long way over the last five years, and so has ds. For one, he can skate now (lol). And pretty darned well. As for me, I now speak the hockey lingo with confidence (with the nagging exception of the aforementioned offside). I help other hockey moms when they have equipment problems. I don't coach from the stands but I've been known to scream "skate, skaaaaaaate, shoot, shoooooooooot" pretty darned loudly when caught up in the heat of the moment. And I was Team Manager during Season 3 and Season 5.

Here is an oldie but goodie layout (it's at least a couple of years old) about my hockey mom experience. It's in my Top 5 list of most favorite layouts, mostly because I just love the picture of ds and I. As I reminisce about hockey seasons past, I thought I would share this favorite layout with you.


Along with thinking about past seasons, I'm also giving lots of thought to this season. Sort-outs (house league equivalent of tryouts) are next weekend. I hope ds gives it his all, and makes the level he is hoping for. I hope whatever team he ends up on has at least a few of his buddies on it. I hope that the coach is as good with the boys as 4 out of 5 of our previous coaches were. And I hope that the coach is nowhere near like one of our previous coaches was, and I sure hope that I speak out early in the season (and as often as required) this time if the coach is a problem.

I also hope that everyone will understand that I am NOT going to manage the team this year. At best, managing a team is rewarding, but time-consuming and a lot of work. At worst, it is frustrating, unappreciated, and a risk to my mental health. So this year, I plan on enjoying the hockey season just like any other parent. I will focus on my son in the dressing room instead of running around trying to find someone to work the clock and scoreboard. I will watch him during practice instead of collecting money or forms from parents. I will just show up to tournaments instead of staying up past midnight organizing them.

And finally, I hope that our son has a terrific season this year. I hope that he continues to enjoy hockey for the sake of playing, and not just for the sake of winning. I hope that he improves his skills and learns new things so that he can feel good about himself. And, I hope that the 6:00 a.m. practices are very few and far between. Let the games begin!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my friends told me about her 11 year old's try-outs last weekend. It's a very different world you guys live in... the world of Hockey Moms and Dads. Wow! So anyway, from someone who knows what an offside is but has no inclination in the least to be in an arena at ungodly hours of the morning, good luck to your son! I hope he skates hard and tries his best... and I hope you guys end up with a good coach. Because, as a soccer mom, I know that can make or break your season.

Barbara said...

None of my boys play hockey anymore. I always enjoyed standing in the arena and watching the games. ...just not at 6 a.m. and I did more than my fair share of those!

nic said...

pssssst I drew your name in my Queen & Co giveaway - email me with your address.
nic.paul(at)xtra.co.nz

stefferqc said...

Boy do I know where you are - the boys started their hockey season this past weekend. While they are in MAGH-2 and MAGH-1, its still too early for try-outs for them, there is still the anticipation of wondering what the team will be like, will the kids have a good time, will there be a kid who makes life miserable for the others cause he is bully, will the coach be a coach. I am happy to report that we do not have 6 am practices :o) but I feel your pain. Love the page layout too!

Anonymous said...

I hope that your ds has a great season! :) I'm so not a fan of hockey in any way shape or form... I was soooooo relieved to have two girls!!! LOL

And congrats on winning the Queen & Co stuff. ;)