Thursday, September 6, 2007

Getting Carded

Lately I've been getting carded. No, I'm not referring to those times at the LCBO when the cashier says "can I see your i.d. please miss". Nope, those times are over for me, regardless of whether 40 is the new 30 or not. It ain't the new 18 - that's for sure.

What I am referring to is the pile of card creations which is slowly growing in a corner of my scraproom. I'd only made a handful of cards over the years up til now, but a couple of months ago I committed to participating in a craft sale at work this fall to raise funds for United Way. I decided to use my scraps and not-so-loved supplies to make some cards, and I've been pleasantly surprised at the result.

My target is 50 cards, and so far I have 9 (yikes). Here are a few samples.










I am thinking of selling these for $2 each - your opinions on that pricing are welcome. This means that at my minimum target 50, I would help raise at least $100 for charity. There is however a little voice inside my head that keeps insisting that people would not actually pay money to buy one of my homemade cards. Not sure whether to slap a muzzle on that voice, or hear her loud and clear; however, I figure my worst case scenario is I don't sell many, or any, and I end up with 50 all-occasion cards in my stash which should keep my investment in Hallmark down to zero for the next two to three years. So, win-win situation, right?

In any event, I will be holding back at least one thank you card and keeping it in my purse - in case next time I'm at the LCBO, the barely-twenty cashier with braces and lingering acne calls me "miss" and asks to see my i.d. Hey, I figure that's worth at least a $2 homemade card (along with a recommendation to get an eye exam)!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards, Nathalie! Wow, 50... you sure are an ambitious gal! Good luck to you! :D

Robyn~ said...

I like em! I'd pay $2.00 for a homemade card!

I make a few cards here and there but I just can't get into "card making"......oh well, I'll just stick to scrappin.

Neisey said...

Great cards Nathalie! I remeber that My mind's Eye (??) birthday girl - thats' going back a few years LOL!

Barbara said...

I think $2 for a homemade card is a bargain and people would pay that. Go for it!