Thursday, September 20, 2007

Run for the Cure

In 2004, my sister M & I did the CIBC Run for the Cure to help raise funds to fight breast cancer. Having lost our oldest sister to breast cancer a few months earlier, we felt the need to do something, anything, to help prevent anyone else from going through this hell. I also felt that somehow, by doing this, we would stay connected with her.

However, we haven't managed to participate in this event since. In fall 2005, we were too busy caring for our mother, who had recently been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. And in fall 2006, we were too busy caring for our father, who had lost Mom, and was dealing with cancer of his own.

Fast forward to fall 2007. Our sister, mother and father are gone. Cancer has touched many more around us. And breast cancer specifically has touched friends and co-workers. My sister C continues to be my inspiration and motivation, but there are so many others out there who could actually concretely benefit from breast cancer research, education, awareness.

My daughter has been asking whether she and I can participate in the walk this year. I think it's a tremendous idea, and as soon as my sister M is back from Europe next weekend, I'm going to see if she wants to come on board.

The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure is the largest, single-day volunteer-led fundraising event in Canada dedicated to creating a future without breast cancer. Over 50 communities across the country participate. The funds raised are for research, education and awareness programs. Those funds have a direct effect on the lives of women affected by breast cancer.

If you'd like to help, please click here in order to sponsor me. I'll be walking 5k - I don't do running. Last time I raised $185 and I would just love to double that at least so I've set a $400 target; but any amount I raise will make a difference. Whether you sponsor me, or someone else you know, or run/walk yourself doesn't matter - bottom line - every penny helps.

Thank you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are great pages, Nathalie! It's so sad what you and your family have been through the past few years, but I see you continue to have a close relationship with your siste, so you always have someone to lean on when times are hard. :S

Kudos to you for fundraising for such a worthy cause. I hope you and your family enjoy the event together this year. :)

Anonymous said...

I love seeing those gorgeous pages again Nat! You and your family have really been going through some tough times these past couple of years. :( I sure hope that only positive and happy things will "pleague" you for the upcoming ones. :)

Good luck on the walk!

Barbara said...

gorgeous layouts. Are those pictures of your sister?

What a difficult thing for you to go through but way to go for trying to make something good come from it.

Anonymous said...

Yes Barbara, those are pictures of my sister. I've made an 8x8 memorial album with pictures spanning her life (it was therapeutic for me, but difficult!).

Robyn~ said...

Bless you all as you contribute to this worthy cause. Thinking of yo uall!