Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Halloween!!!

Scuse me. Wasn't it just August yesterday? How in the world can it be the end of October??? Ok, rant over. Yes, time is flying by, but I have to admit I love this time of year and I love Halloween. I used to love it more when I could eat chocolate (I need to dedicate a whole post to my chocolate problem - but for now, suffice it to say, I cannot eat this food of the Gods anymore). But I digress...oh yes, Halloween. Tomorrow is the big day. Preparations were ongoing all weekend - ds decided on being that guy from Scream, with the mask that has actual blood-looking stuff oozing down, can't wait to see how that turns out! Pumpkins are carved. Treats are purchased. Store-bought brownies are all ready for ds' school party tomorrow (lol - I gave up on homemade a long time ago!!!). All is well with the world.

I'd like to share with you (also known as, "I'd like to show off") my scrappy Halloween creations. Here are a few Halloween cards I made for the United Way craft sale:









The patterned paper is from Tim Coffey's Halloween paper photo mat pad (by K&Company), and the embellishments were in my stash ... bat-shaped and spider-shaped punches from my punch swap days, various stickers and sticker letters, rub-ons, and dimensional paint.

I also made several altered notebooks for the sale:





And here is my piece de resistance - I altered a coffee can, a prima flower tube, a night-light and a memo pad and created this Halloween gift basket (complete with candy, chocolates and skeleton-shaped lollipops) as a raffle prize for the United Way sale. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.





And speaking of the United Way sale we held, where we sold art, baked goods, used books, crafts, used cd's and dvd's, we managed to raise over $1,400 for the charitable campaign. Cool!!! While I only sold a few cards (all the more for me, I say), all my altered notebooks sold, and there were plenty of raffle tickets sold for the basket too.

Long post - but not over yet. Just to update you all on goings-on ... dd won three awards last week - one for highest mark in Grade 10 French, one for highest mark in Grade 10 Nutrition, and one for overall average in Grade 10 of over 90%. We are very proud!! Ds won his first hockey game 6-1, but lost his second game 1-5. Also, ds has been chosen by his teacher to participate in peer mediation training, so he can help resolve conflicts between students at his school. Once again - we are very proud!!! Work is still NUTS, and I'm not currently seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. We've picked the granite for our new kitchen counters, as well as the undermount sink and the faucet. Should be installed in about 10 days. Waiting for a call from the hardwood guy to confirm what day next week they'll start on the stairs. Have to decide on a tile/design for the kitchen backsplash. Busy but fun!!!

And last but not least, I was so pleased to hear that Robyn's guy finally proposed to her ... they are now officially engaged! Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together!!!

Well, dh just came home and surprised me with a Starbucks latte. All really is well with the world!!! Happy Halloween, everyone!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can SO relate to the part about it being AUGUST just the other day! lol

Great job on the Halloween cards and the basket! Congrats on participating in the United Way sale... and the cards you made... they are all beautiful! Really. :)

Congrats to your kiddos on their awesome accomplishments too, eh? They are pretty amazing... you should be proud!

As for the chocolate, I think I've heard your story before. I can't imagine... poor you!

Robyn~ said...

Great donations for the sale! Wow! And thanks for announcing my engagement on your blog....that makes me so happy! (the announcement AND the proposal!)

Anonymous said...

What a great basket and cards and notebooks that you made Nath! :) They all look wonderful.

And congrats to your dd and your ds too for all their accomplishments.

I'm sorry that you are still so busy. I hope that things lighten up for you pretty soon. :)

Neisey said...

Love all your halloween cards. Great photo of your Ds and sparta cat. Glad you are having some fun with all tyhe busy timea at your house.