Sunday, October 21, 2007

Retail Therapy

In the beginning, I scrap-shopped because I actually needed tools and supplies in order to create my first tentative pages. Somewhere along the way, I started to scrap-shop in order to obtain just the right thing for the layout I had already built in my head. Eventually, I scrap-shopped just for the thrill of owning a new tool, or a new line of paper. And finally, I scrap-shopped - despite having enough stuff to open my own shop - as a form of retail therapy. A little scrap purchase went a long way to making me forget my troubles.

Today, I indulged in a little bit of retail therapy. Goodness knows (given my recent shopping expeditions) I certainly didn't need anything. But having learned that my local scrap store is closing up shop after 7 years in business - and going out with a 40% off everything sale - I actually scrap-shopped to make me feel better about not being able to scrap-shop in my neighborhood anymore (how sick is that, lol?). It was kind of sad, but gosh, 40% off is a pretty good deal. I suspect before long the deals might get even better, but the good stock may be gone by then.

Anyhow, along with a little bit of Christmas shopping (which I cannot describe because the recipient may be reading this blog, he he he), I came home with a very reasonable amount of stuff:


I stocked up on my all time favorite glue dots - Glue Dots Brand. These come in perforated sheets, and are actually a lot less messy to use than the kind that come in rolls. But that's pretty much where the practical shopping ended. The rest was all fun stuff.

I purchased:

....some flowers - Prima (purples and oranges), Bazzill Bling (a goldish orange), and Keepsake Memory (black, white and gray) - couldn't find a website for that last one.

....some Bo-Bunny rulers ... which I would never have purchased unless they were on sale. I mean, a ruler's a ruler, and dollar-store ones work just fine. But these were cute. And at 40% off, only a couple of bucks.

....some really neat journaling punch-outs by Luxe called "To Die For Jotters" - Floral 1, Ornate 1, Dots, Arrows.

....some gorgeous 2-sided patterned paper by Luxe (Pashmina line) and the die cut alphabet that goes with it.

....some Halloween-y (or fall-y) patterned paper by Daisy D. I already have some buttons and flowers to match this paper. The lines are "SisBoom" and "ShowOffs" but I can't find these on the DaisyD website, weird eh?

....some K&Company patterned paper mats and stickers in a Christmassy theme (Peppermint by Brenda Walton) - I have delusions of making my own Christmas cards this year I think. Couldn't find this line on the K&Co website. Perhaps these companies are producing new stuff faster than they can actually post it!

....some Chip Chatter (tall) in tan colour, by Pressed Petals.

....some yellow Felt Border by Queen&Co.

....a giant "N" by Making Memories that I will alter and display in my scrap room a la Ali Edwards.

And as an added treat, just as I was getting my purchases rung up at the cash so I could go meet dh for coffee, I got to see Barb, who was on her way in for a little retail therapy of her own. Hope you founds lots of cool stuff, Barb!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathalie, it was soooooo good to see you. I'm glad our paths crossed... it's been much too long, my friend. :)

I did find what I was looking for. And then some! It actually caught me off-guard a bit when I saw the sub-total before the discounts were applied. I breathed a little easier when the final total came up... and I have to remember that some of it was for the other Nathalie... I mean, what would I do with all that bling I bought?! ;)

And yes, I'm with you on being sad the store's closing. So very sad. :(

Anonymous said...

Good on you for scrap shopping! I too was trying to cut back for a while, but now I am getting back into enjoying shopping - what the heck, we only have so many fun things in life, why deny myself?:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had fun shopping Nat! Gotta love retail therapy. And I'm pretty much a true believer in it! LOL

Yup I think that most of the bling that Barb had was for me plus a couple of other things too. ;) It's not my lss but hey, it doesn't matter. When you hear of a 40% discount, any hoarder at heart will want to participate! LOL

michelle sturgeon said...

AWESOME purchases, Nathalie!
I am also sad that EM, and now Scrapbooking Cafe, are closing. EM was the first scrapbook store I shopped in and Karen was kind enough to show me how to use everything!

Barbara said...

I love a little retail therapy. It goes a long way in a happy, scrappy, state of mind. Looks like you did good, girl.