Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hockey Update

I was looking through digital and printed pictures this weekend and realized I have quite a few layouts to do to bring ds' hockey album up to date. That's the problem with scrapping whatever pictures happen to catch my fancy; sometimes, I'm uninspired by a certain kind of picture and then months (years) go by and they remain un-scrapped. So this weekend I "forced" myself to get inspired by a set of printed pictures, and thus began catching up on ds' hockey album. Here is the result:



End Of Year Hockey Party

Cardstock: Bazzill and Unknown
Patterned Paper: Unknown
Stickers: Scrappin'Sports
Rub-on alphas: Mini-marks by American Crafts (fonts: Fred and Ned Jr)
Metal word (party): Making Memories (I think!)

This one definitely goes into the "Simple Scrapbooking" category. Actually, I can't quite figure out if it's done yet. Should I fill in the white spot on the right-hand page with some of the orange pp? Should I fill in the space on the left-hand page, above and below the sticker and "end of", perhaps with a zigzaggy rub-on? If you have an opinion, pls post a comment and let me know. I'm not 100% on this one and would love your help.

And in honour of updating (somewhat) the hockey album, I thought I'd also update you on how the hockey season is going for ds so far. Sadly, he didn't get into the level he was hoping for. After the initial disappointment though, he did realize that rather than being one of the weaker players on the team, he would actually be one of the stronger ones. Then, he met the coach, who is everything a minor house league hockey coach should be - encouraging, kind-hearted, inclusive, and focussed on giving the boys a positive and enriching hockey experience this year. And, he met the team. A bunch of boys who love to play hockey but who aren't that focussed on the competitive aspect of it. So now, he's very happy with where he's ended up. He has hit the ice smiling for every practice so far, and he's actually giving more of himself out there than he did during the try-outs. Go figure.

As for me, I am still resisting the irresistible allure of minor house league hockey team management. It's been quite the internal battle though. No one has stepped up for the role. We have on-ice helpers, a team trainer, a treasurer, someone to do up the gamesheets, and someone to work the time clock. But, no one seems to want the glamorous manager job. I feel **so** guilty but dh is helping me stick to my guns by giving me the occasional pep talk. And I've been self-helping too. So far so good!!

And finally, an update on my Sens ... they are off to a great start! Undefeated in exhibition games and 6 wins, 1 loss in regular season. Looks like my boy Ray will be back in nets this week, having tested out his repaired wrist with the Binghamton Sens this weekend. Next game is Thursday against the Canadiens - the only bad news is, I'll have to choose once again between hockey and Grey's Anatomy! Last week fate chose for me - the power went out at the beginning of the 2nd period. So I spent the rest of the evening cuddled up beside ds, sharing his portable radio earbuds, listening to the game by candlelight. Sometimes things have a way of working themselves out!

1 comment:

Robyn~ said...

I really can't stand hockey that much.....but you are so enthusiastic about it, I feel like I should go watch a game!