Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Just Do It!

Hey - those folks at Nike know what they're talking about. Sometimes, you've gotta Just Do It! Last night, after my woe-is-me post about being overworked and overwhelmed and undercreative, I dragged my butt up the stairs intending to hide from the world under my bedcovers. Seriously, that was the plan. But the darkened door of my scrap room kind of, sort of called out to me. I tentatively went in there and turned on the light. I thought hey, I can go to bed right now and feel sorry for myself - or, I could sit down at this desk, pick a set of pictures, and Just Do It.

I think that I had an amazing scrapping breakthrough last night. Usually, I agonize over patterned paper and embellishment choices. I sketch my layout and then I re-sketch it. I know where everything is going to go before I glue it down. I worry about whether colours match just right. I worry about using some cool embellishment that I might want to use on a better layout in the future. But last night, I just said, "what the H-E-L-L". Just. Do. It.

The resulting layout is certainly not the best one I've ever done. But it's by far, not the worst! And I had such fun doing it. I felt ... liberated. In about an hour, I finished a layout that I would normally have spent a couple of hours on, over a period of a few days. So, ta-da, here is my creation:


It's Snow Fun

Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: SEI Holiday Hoopla (fab flakes) and Basic Grey Blitzen (sugar plum)
Black ink: Color Box
Ribbon: American Crafts Elements
Red star buttons and white snowflake button: Not sure, but I think they were Dress It Up
Chipboard letters (large): Chip Chatter - Tall by Pressed Petals
Chipboard letters (small): Fontastics by Queen and Company (chillin')
Foam snowflake: not sure, got it in a winter swap a gazillion years ago
Paper snowflakes: Making Memories
Gem brads: Making Memories

Just fyi, the background cardstock is a pale blue. It looks white on the scan. But I want to point out that it's pale blue because that is some out-of-the-box thinking for me ... I normally would have played it safe and paired those patterned papers with white.

I still made it to bed before 10:00 pm, feeling quite a bit better about myself than I did earlier in the evening. It always amazes me how good scrapbooking makes me feel. I know I've spent thousands in tools and supplies (see how brave I am? see how sure I am that dh does not read this blog? lol) - but can you imagine how much money I'd have to spend on therapy if I didn't have scrapbooking?

So, next time you're sitting at your scrap desk, I challenge you to Just Do It. Don't agonize over it. Just have fun with it!!!

PS - a big thank you to everyone for their kind and encouraging words ... I don't often get the blah-y blues ... but it's nice to have friends who "pick me up" when I do!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, how fun! I love sit-down-and-play sessions at my scrap desk. Looks like you've found a new way to scrap! GREAT LO, btw. I love how you've incorporated so many photos onto your two-pager. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you, I know what you mean when you say scrapbooking makes you feel good. Layouts help me express my feelings and the money I spend on scrapbooking stuff is nothing compared to the quality time I spend at my scrap desk. Therapy? Nahhh!
Love xxx
Your sister

Barbara said...

Way to go for your impromptu scrap session. The layout turnerd out great. Glad you had fun with it.

Robyn~ said...

You're just a genius....just plainly a genius.....love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Your LO looks great Nat! It is so liberating isn't it to just go and wing it! :D I remember to do that once in a while, and when I do, I usually have as much fun than you had.