Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The only constant is change ...

If there's one thing I've learned about life, it's that just when you go and feel all comfy and secure, something changes and you either adapt, or things don't go so well. And once you adapt, and get all comfy and secure, something changes again.

I've been through lots of changes at work in the last couple of years, most good, some bad. And there are major changes about to happen again, not the least of which is my boss' retirement and with it, a New Boss. New Bosses can be scary things until you get to know them. And sometimes, New Bosses can be even scarier things once you get to know them. So wish me luck, eh.

In order to properly bid Outgoing Boss goodbye, I offered my scrappy talents to my colleagues and proposed to make a small scrapbook (a glorified card, really) that she could remember us by. Out of respect for my colleagues' privacy I won't post all the pages, but here is the cover and the first couple of pages. There are 8 of us, and in each picture, one of us is holding up a different word ... which spells out "Dear (Outgoing Boss) We Will Miss You Very Much!". One of my cheesiest ideas yet, but we gave it to her today and she seemed very pleased.







I used a mini-album and patterned papers which came in a kit that I purchased at Costco almost a year ago. It was an awesome value, tons of stuff for under $20. I prettied up the cover by using puffy paint which I purchased last time I scrapshopped with my sister D (we have the worse luck scrapshopping together, whether in her town or mine, the stores are always closed! But we are resourceful and managed to find stuff in an art store last time around). I also used prima flowers, Bazzill sticker letters, Creative Memories hexagon punch, and Tim Holtz distressing ink. You can't really tell from these pictures but the whole thing has a kind of a shabby shic look.

The whole thing came together quickly and easily; the hardest (and longest) part was fitting picture taking into my schedule.

Oh, and if you're wondering what those Chinese symbols are at the beginning of this post ... they are the Chinese symbols for danger and opportunity, which together, form the Chinese symbol for change. Very fitting to what is going on in my life right now, I think!

2 comments:

Robyn~ said...

My, you're always thinkin' aren't ya!

Nice job on the gift for boss.

Been to the post office lately?

(sticks out tongue and smiles)

R

Anonymous said...

I don't read Chinese at all, but I love those symbols which are two words in one. Love it!

I blogged a while back about change and balance. I figured that balance isn't really a static point to aim for... it's actually a moving target, and we adjust to all the challenges and changes that come our way in life. Same goes for happiness... it's a moving target. So change... change is good.

Hang in there, Nathalie. I hope life settles down for you soon.

(Great job on the gift album, btw. What a cool idea!)