Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Scraplifting

It's interesting that this wonderful scrapbooking craft has spawned all kinds of weird terminology. Certainly, it has given a whole new meaning to the words "to scrap". A few years ago, when my husband would say "my wife's a scrapper", I'm sure people would imagine me with the boxing gloves on, no holds barred ... but the word has now taken on a new verb meaning, and a meaningful new noun status.

A brand new word that came out of this craft is "scraplifting". (I'm explaining this in case you're reading this and you don't scrap. It could happen. You know who you are, eh?). To scraplift is to use someone else's layout as inspiration. You can do a full scraplift (exact page design, supplies, etc.), a partial scraplift (combo of page design and/or supplies) or a vague scraplift (starts out with the idea but develops into its own somewhere along the way). I'm usually a vague scraplifter, paging through scrap magazines or surfing websites right before scrapping in order to get some creative juices flowing. Last weekend I needed a wee bit more inspiration though, so I focussed on a layout I had clipped out of an old magazine. Thought I'd share the result here with you.

Here's the original layout (artist unknown - so sorry about that - but I had cut it out of a magazine without saving the name), followed by my scraplift:

ARTIST UNKNOWN

MY SCRAPLIFT

I think the result looks enough like the original to be considered a partial scraplift - but not enough to be a full scraplift. The beauty about "stealing" ideas in this craft, is that it's not actually stealing, it's more like flattery. I've never heard of anyone being upset that they've been scraplifted (well, except maybe on Two Peas, but that's a whole other topic!).

Supplies:

Cardstock - Bazzill
Patterned Paper - Frances Meyer (Japan Garnet Wine), All My Memories (Herbanella), Bo-Bunny (Boys to Men)
Ribbon Tape - Heidi Swapp
Chipboard letters - Queen & Co, Pressed Petals Chip Chatter
Journaling Stamp - Autumn Leaves

Well, that's just about the last of the layouts I produced in the last few days - it's been fun being off work, but today was back to reality (aka work) for me, and I get the feeling that sessions at my scrap desk will be few and far between for the next little while. Which is too bad, because scrap desk sessions make me so happy. Too bad I don't get the same high off Public Service Renewal, human resource policy development, and performance management issues!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love scraplifting. And your lift turned out great. :)

Anonymous said...

I had to LOL at the 2Peas comment but you are so right. I think it's the only place in the scrapworld where someone is unhappy about scraplifting! And I love your page! It turned out great!

I hope that first day back isn't too tough on you!

michelle sturgeon said...

I laughed at the 2peas comment! Great page, and I'd say it is a partial lift! LOL!

Barbara said...

I'm a big-time scraplifter. You're turned out great, and you really made it your own.