Sunday, January 6, 2008

One Less Unfinished Project

For my entire crafting life, I have had a mess of unfinished projects haunting me. When I was into knitting, I would have bags of sweater pieces ready to be sewn together - if only I could get around to knitting that one last sleeve. When I was into cross-stitching, I worked on a canvas for over two years only to give up on finishing it when I had only about 1 inch square of black background left to do. I have plenty of single crocheted booties - if only I had given birth to babies who only felt the cold in only one of their pudgy little feet!

One of the things that quickly attracted me to scrapbooking, and confirmed me as an addict, is that each page is a project in itself, and it is actually quite possible to finish a page and get a sense of accomplishment. Finally - no more unfinished projects haunting me! Or so I thought. Once I strayed from chronological albums into the realm of theme albums, crafting procrastination once again reared its ugly head. I currently have several unfinished albums, including my daughter's Girl Guide album, my childhood album, my wedding album, my sister's tribute album (that one looks finished, but looks can be deceiving - I still have a few pictures I want to scrap), and my godson's album. And maybe others that I don't even remember. But as of this weekend, there is one unfinished album that is unfinished no longer - my high school grad album!

I started this album in October 2006 when a bunch of scrappy gals got together for a day of scrapping. I figured a theme album would be easy to prepare and pack for. I only got a few layouts done, and it took me until this weekend (about 15 months later!) to get at it again. But I finished it! And am basking in the sense of accomplishment. So much so that I've decided to share the entire album here with you (don't worry - it's short!). Here goes!












If you're still here, thanks for sticking it out to the end!! A couple of things - first of all, I just realized I forgot to put the dot on the "i" on the cover page - oops!! Second - I am 15 years old in these pictures. I wish I could tell my 15-year-old self that, despite the ups and downs, it really is going to be all right. Third - I went to the prom with a friend (as opposed to a date). He was short so I had to wear ballet flats (but wore very high high heels to the grad dinner). Fourth - I really cherish the picture of my Dad and I dancing together. The only other time was at my wedding. Fifth - my (high school) best friend Brenda features prominently in these pages. We've lost touch ... I wonder what she's doing now? And finally - isn't it cool that my corsage has survived 26 years in a magnetic photo album?

Supplies used:

Cardstock - Bazzill
Patterned Paper - Signature Series by My Mind's Eye
Flowers - Prima, Bazzill, other
Ribbon - Unknown
Brads - Making Memories, unknown
Buttons - SEI
Grad stickers - Creative Memories
Paper/punchout embellishments - My Mind's Eye
Letter stickers - Basic Grey

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

It is cool that your coursage has survived that long. The album is wonderful...now get finishing the rest ;)

Rachel said...

OMG Nat.. I am so glad you shared this.. and i adore that you still have your corsage...lol

I have a shlew of unfinished crafts and totally understand why scrapping was attrative.. I agree a quick sense of accomplishment!!! In a short matter of time!

R XOOX

Anonymous said...

WOW! Congratulations on finishing that project. It's gorgeous. I wanna see it in real life. :)

As for abandoned projects, I have a few lying around. Orphaned, as my dh calls them. *sigh*

Barbara said...

What an amazing album you created, filled with such treasured memories.