Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tagged by Robyn

Christmas carols are playing and I'm decorating the family room (after dusting the walls and every other surface...). Progress!!!


I've been tagged by Robyn ... she's getting a two-for-one, tagging both Nathalie 1 and Nathalie 2 (that's me!) at once!

01. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Like Robyn, I do a bit of both. I love the look of beautifully wrapped gifts, but I run out of time and gift wrap the night before Christmas, so out come the recycled-year-after-year bags!

02. Real or artificial tree?
Artificial

03. When do you put up the tree?
Usually, always by December 6th (St. Nicholas). This year, won't be til Dec 15th or 16th.

04. When do you take the tree down?
Usually after Epiphany (Jan 6th). When I was little we would wait til Jan 6th to add the wise men to the manger ... and then we would take the tree down.

05. Do you like eggnog?
Yes, so long as I don't think about what it's made of.

06. Favorite gift received as a child?
A tent and camping gear for my Barbies. My mother begged the local hardware store to sell them their small scale model of a tent (they had it on display to show what the life-size tent would look like). She made my barbies sleeping bags out of sleeping bag-y material, she made me a campfire out of clay with dyed cotton wool for the flames...it was AWESOME.

07. Do you have a nativity scene?
No, not anymore. Had nativity figures, and dh built them a manger. Over the years it fell apart. I never replaced it. That's sad. Maybe I should do something about that this year.

08. Hardest person to buy for?
Dh, but thankfully since last year we don't buy for each other anymore (except for stocking stuffers).

09. Easiest person to buy for?
Ds. This eleven year old boy has a two-page typewritten Christmas gift lists with tons of ideas (and illustrations, and details re price and what stores carry the item).

10. Worst Christmas gift ever received?
There must have been some bad ones, but I just can't remember!

11. Mail or Email Cards?
Definitely mail.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
A Christmas Story ... you know, the one with the kid who wants a bibi gun for Christmas ("you'll put your eye out"!) ... and his aunt gives him pink footie pajamas ... and his brother is so bundled up for winter, if he falls he can't get up ... it's hilarious! I love how the dog eats the turkey and they spend Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant. I love everything about that movie.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Soon. Very, very soon.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I don't think so; but I've been on the receiving end of several presents I gave to my mother-in-law ... "take this dear, I know you gave it to me, but I'm old and I'll die soon and you need this more than I do...". And that was 20 years ago ... and she's still around! Bet she wishes she'd kept that electric can opener, lol!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My Mom's cookies. Damn. Next favorite thing - illicit bites of turkey while my father in law is carving it in the kitchen and no one's looking. Once again, damn. Ok, I think I need a new favorite thing to eat at Christmas.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
That's so hard because there are so many great ones. I like anything by Bing Crosby ... my fave there has got to be "White Christmas". Also, I like one by Nana Mouskouri (in Greek) but can't remember what it's called...maybe Kalin Imeran?

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Stay home!

19. Can you name Santa's reindeer?
A few of 'em. I do recall the most famous reindeer of all, though.

20. Do you have an Angel on top of the tree or a star?
Neither! I have a big red bow.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas Eve with my side of the family; and one present from us for the kids on Christmas Eve; Christmas morning for us and the kids; and later on Christmas Day with dh's side of the family. It's the 24-hour-period-that-keeps-on-giving!

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
The stress! Christmas should not be this stressful. Yet it is.

Let's see ... who should I tag ... how about stefferqc (if she has any time left on her hands given that she now has a 2.75 year old to go along with her 3 boys including a 2.5 year old!!) and Marlene because she hasn't updated her blog in a looooong time and this (if she sees it!) just might inspire her to do so!

PS - The Christmas ornament featured in the picture is the one dh gave to ds last Christmas. He normally gives him Teddy Bear ornaments ... but this variation on the theme is too cool, and totally age-appropriate!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are the best two for one around! Loved to read your answers my friend! :) And that ornament is too cool!

Robyn~ said...

Excellent job! I love reading your answers too..of course you remember THE MOST FAMOUS REINDEER OF ALL! lOL

Dianna said...

I've always wanted one of those little sample tents!