Friday, December 28, 2007

News from the Scrapbooking World

1. I just read that one of my favorite patterned paper makers, Junkitz, has gone out of business. Bummer. You'd think in a $3 Billion+/year industry, there'd be room for everyone! Apparently the owners of Junkitz will now join forces with InkBoutique. I'm not one for scrapbook industry gossip but based on what I've been reading here and there, it would appear that these people have left many creditors, both business and personal, high and dry. One scrapper's blog even lists all the creditors with the amounts owing. I can't believe how seriously some scrappers feel about the industry. Maybe I'm shallow or something ... but the only reaction I had was, "bummer - there goes some of my favorite paper". :oO

2. Have you been wondering what colour will be the most popular in 2008? Well, a company called Pantone, supposedly the world's colour authority for 45 years, has chosen Blue Iris as its 2008 Colour of the Year. Here's what their website has to say: "As a reflection of the times, Blue Iris brings together the dependable aspect of blue, underscored by a strong, soul-searching purple cast. Emotionally, it is anchoring and meditative with a touch of magic. Look for it artfully combined with deeper plums, red-browns, yellow-greens, grapes and grays." I really must go through my stash - not to mention my soul - to see if I have anything in this colour. I better look for "grapes", too (though I might have better luck in the refrigerator). If not, I had better go out shopping right now, or risk using last year's non-trendy colours on my layouts!!! :oP

3. Finding inspiration in everyday objects and art continues to be a trend in the scrapbooking world. Scrapbooking sites such as Two Peas, and tons of blogs, continuously post "Ad Inspiration Challenges". I must admit I haven't really gotten into this trend. However, while perusing the Canadian Scrapbooker Magazine website the other day, I came across an inspiration challenge featuring this piece of artwork, and it kind of piqued my curiosity. The goal of this challenge is to create a scrapbook project (could be a layout, journal, altered item, etc. etc.) using the artwok as inspiration. You can submit your project to the magazine (deadline in January 15). Winning projects will be featured in their summer 2008 issue, and some will be featured on their website as well. I think I'm going to go for it. Anyone want to play along with me? ;o)

Well there you have it. A very scrapbook-focussed post for you. Kind of makes up for all those hockey posts, eh? Speaking of which, it's been a while since I shared my hockey tales with you ... I think we're due sometime soon! :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff, girlfriend! I think I like that color of blue!

Love Robyn~

Anonymous said...

Interesting inspiration challenge. I'm not really up for this sort of thing. Too much thinking involved. lol. Good luck with your project though, Nat. Make sure you post it here for us to see... unless, of course, Canadian Scrapbook nabs it first! ;)