Saturday, March 8, 2008

Comfort Zones

After stretching my boundaries with the freestyle valentines layout, I must admit it was somewhat comforting to put together a layout with clean and simple lines. Guess I've got this perfectionism thing worse than I thought!


Supplies:

Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: Frances Meyer
Journaling Block: Autumn Leaves clear stamp
Paperclip: Unknown
Flowers: Prima, Bazzill
Leaves: From a taken-apart silk bouquet bought at a garage sale!
Fabric-covered brads: $ store
Felt hearts: $ store
White foam letters: $ store
Red alpha rub-on letters: American Crafts

I am getting A LOT of use out of those journaling stamps (thank you so much, sister D! - ooh and while I'm addressing you directly, might as well mention that the patterned paper is from that pack of paper I bought at the home decor store when you and I were desperate to scrap shop in Sept-Iles last summer). I am also just loving my $ store finds lately. The Dollarama has some really great stuff if you just have the patience to sort through the more garish stuff.

So things got better on the work front as the week wore on and by Friday I was feeling like maybe I can do this after all. Although I'm sure that my feelings about it will rollercoaster for some time yet, I am excited about what I can accomplish if I can just get my act together. I just need to alter my comfort zone.

On the home front, dh's aunt has been moved to a palliative care home. I visited her last night and she is surprisingly calm, content, philosophical about death and extremely wise in her reflections. She is happy with the care she is getting. I was afraid she might panic when she got there, since this is the same home we moved my father-in-law to right before he passed away and at the time, she and my mother in law were very upset that he had been brought to this place to die. This is a normal reaction for many people, who would prefer to see their loved ones in hospital where you can at least pretend that there's some hope for recovery. But no, she knows exactly where she is and why, but she is happy, even comforted, to be there.

I can't believe how time flies; one year ago yesterday my father passed away. It feels like yesterday, but it also feels like an eternity. I miss him (apparently it is possible to miss cranky old men!) and I miss my mom too. I hope they've found each other in the afterlife and are happily bickering with each other about trivial things. That seemed to give them much comfort here on earth!

I think we're going to be snowbound all weekend (supposed to get the mother of all snowstorms ... although right now it's fairly calm, a brief reprieve for sure). I need to catch up on housework. I hope to spend some time scrapping. Not much food in the fridge or cupboard, but I hope to round up something from the depths of the freezer so I can make some comfort food to help ride out the storm.

Happy weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, as much as I LOVED your freestyle page, I adore this one. Tell me that's not YOUR daughter?! How did she grow up so fast?! Wow.

As for your dh's aunt, I'm glad for you that she's settled in okay. It's such a difficult thing to do, to care for/worry about loved ones as they age. Sending a prayer her way, and hoping you are doing okay as the anniversary of your father's passing approaches. (Your comment about grumpy old men made me smile...)

Hugs,
Barb

P.S. The storm took it's time getting here, but it seems to be blowing in full force now. UGH!

Robyn~ said...

What a pretty daughter you have! Please tell her how pretty I think she is!