Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy 2010 everybody! Hope you had fun ringing in the new year. We had a few friends over for dinner on New Year's Eve. The husband and I took a few minutes out of our busy dinner prep time for a photo shoot - though most of the pics are on his blackberry and this kissy one is the only one on my camera. Yes, that's a very festive shirt he's wearing :o) On New Year's Day, we went to visit our friends who live out in the country and spent the afternoon/evening playing euchre (and drinking...and eating....). A very nice start to the year.

So I've been having some thoughts about New Year's resolutions, and decided to revisit the ones I made last year. Here's the entry from my January 2, 2009 blog post: "This year I will put a greater focus on my health. I will eat well, I will be active, I will take care of my body and soul (and hopefully in the process lose a dress size or maybe even two). I would just love to lose 20 pounds between now and bathingsuit season (and firm up the jigglies that will surely be there even if 20 pounds are lost)."

I must say, I had great success with last year's resolution to get my weight gain under control. I lost almost 40 pounds in the first 6 months of the year, and have managed to maintain my weight loss since then (ok, ok, I put on a couple of pounds over Christmas, but that is to be expected, and it WILL come off over the next couple of weeks)! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but going from a size 14 to a size 6 has been a helluva (helluvan?) accomplishment. Not sure I can top that resolution this year.

But I do have a few priorities that I want to focus on this year. One is, of course, continuing to maintain the weight loss. Another is resolving my work/career issues (long story, but in a nutshell, I am seeking greater worklife balance and am considering my options including the possibility of moving down a level or two - a challenge when the powers that be expect me to move onwards and upwards). And even if I don't exercise any options and decide to stay in the same job, I need to look forward to going to work again, and to find a better balance, a way to spend more time doing the things I love with the ones I love...I want to take full advantage of our new trailer and boat; I want to scrapbook more often - there is so much creativity inside me crying to get out; I want to go on more dates with my husband; I want to stay connected with my kids; I want to connect more often with my sisters; I want to have more spa dates and dinners out with my girlfriends. I don't want to come home every night feeling drained and wanting only to lie on the couch and watch tv.

So ... between loads of laundry today I snuck a little bit of "me time" in. I spent some time in the scraproom, but didn't actually get a lot of scrapbooking done. I spent most of my time putting loose layouts into albums ... man, that is one dreadful job when you put it off for months on end! I ran out of extra posts AND albums, lol. There is a trip to Michaels in my very near future. Here's a layout I did the other day:


Because I worked between Christmas and New Year's, I decided to take a few days off next week - so while many of you are dreading going back to work tomorrow after a week or two break, I don't have to face work until Thursday! :o) I plan on taking down the Christmas decorations, scrapbooking, an outing with sister M, and maybe a haircut and/or spa appointment. A great start on this year's resolutions, eh?

2 comments:

famille1999 said...

Happy New Year Nath!!! Kuddos on attaining your weight loss goals for last year! You must be very proud of yourself and with reason! :) Good luck with this year's resolutions. I sure hope that you find a way to spend more time with your family and doing things that you love. :) All the best for you and your family for 2010.

Samantha said...

A great start indeed. Have fun. Happy New Year! What a great accomplishment from last year. You should toot your own horn. and loud!