Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Scrapping Frenzy

Wow. My muse is back from wherever she's been hiding, and I scrapped up a storm this weekend. I think I was inspired by all those new scrapping goodies. It felt good, and the creative juices were flowing freely. You know, those times where you don't feel the need to overly measure and where you glue stuff down before knowing for sure where everything is going to go? Liberating!

But before I can show you what I was up to this weekend, I have a layout I created several days ago that I want to share with you. Proof, actually, that my creativity is highly motivated by new scrap stuff; since I created this just a couple of days after buying some Making Memories patterned paper packs (Chelsea's Place collection) on sale at Michael's. Half price sale. Oooooh.


Supplies

Cardstock: Bazzill (what else, lol!!)
Patterned Paper: Making Memories (Chelsea's Place)
Flowers: Bazzill, Prima and Daisy D's
Buttons, fabric-covered brad: Dollar Store
Pewter brads, white brad: Making Memories
Lace cameo: found in my Mother's sewing basket
Hat pin: Making Memories
Chipboard letters: Dollar store

These are pictures from my 11th birthday. It amazes me how much I look like my son. It also amazes me that I have no clear memories from that day - other than what I remember by looking at the pictures. This is the reason. This is why I scrapbook. So that someday when my kids look back on their childhood, they don't have to strain their brains to remember their 11th birthday party ... or to remember what they did right before or right after the picture was taken. All I can remember is what I see in the pictures - the amazing birthday cake my mother made (yup, that's some sort of vintage Kewpie-looking barbie doll sticking out of that cake!), the names of my friends (Julie, Sylvie and Bonnie), and, I think, that one of the presents was a Nancy Drew book. For all I know, this was the only birthday-party-with-friends I had when I was a kid. I don't think birthday-parties-with-friends were the norm; I don't remember attending them, I don't remember having them. But I'm pretty confident my kids will remember more of their childhood, because the memories are being kept alive through their scrapbooks.

And that, my friends, is what justifies spending a small fortune scrap shopping with my sister last week. (Sigh. I hear they have a 12-step program for that.)

:o)

4 comments:

stefferqc said...

Well, one thing for sure, you have inspired me! I got a whole bunch of black and white scrappy stuff to start my black and white (only) album. Now that I see you going, its time for me to pull it out of the drawer I think. I also have 1 day off a week as of tomorrow, so I might just spend the whole day doing it (well, at least one page seeing as I have to measure everything!).

Jennifer said...

I like that LO...wish we had cool paper. WTH, I have no LSS. Anyways I want that cool paper with the swirls, and edges...and I want lace.

You did a great job with all that stuff. And yes new stuff is inspiring, more reason to keep shopping :)

Robyn de Weerd said...

Yep, genius you are! How'd ya get so smart? When I grow up, I wanna be just like YOU!

Anonymous said...

Wow wow wow! I love the LO, Nathalie. The papers and embellishments you chose are PERFECT. And the photos are priceless. You were such a blondie... so cute with that cheesy smile. lol