Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Back to the grind!

Apparently, the old adage is true - time really does fly when you're having fun. I can't believe it's over. Time away from work really puts things in perspective; it's amazing that I spend about 2/3 of my waking hours commuting/working when the really important stuff in life has nothing to do with work. Hmph. I seriously gave some thought to my options, but early retirement (ie, 12 years early, lol) just isn't one of them. So, back to the grind. First day back was like a crouching tiger. Not so bad, and actually kind of ok, for the first little bit ... considering that I'm replacing my boss for the next three weeks. Then the tiger growled and leapt, and I got called to a late afternoon meeting with the DM which has generated lots of panicky deadliney work, AND my admin assistant (who's been with me almost 3 years) gave 2 weeks' notice. I didn't get home til 6:45. Welcome back, eh?

So I'm going to indulge myself briefly here and relive my vacation, at least the Coles Notes version.

Week 1 - Cottage Fun!

The cottage we rented was awesome, we would definitely stay there again. Even the girl conceded that it wasn't THAT bad (though she'd rather not ever do the cottage thing, ever). And truth be told, there were some really big, weird bugs out there. I kayaked, did a little bit of fishing, swam (only one time though - it just wasn't warm enough for me to want to enter the water more than once). Happy hour started earlier each day. The husband was able to handle business by blackberry and didn't stray from our side all week. We had friends visit. We had moments of pure relaxation. And, not only did I not GAIN weight despite happy hour and frequent dips into the chip bowl, I LOST half a pound. All in all, a pretty good start to vay-cay.







Week 2 - Kingston, and the week that flew by

Not sure exactly where time went to this week. We went to our friends' house for a BBQ. The girl and I had yet another awesome girls' trip, this time to Kingston. We stayed at a different B&B than last year. This time, it was the Rosemount Inn, which we'd wanted to stay at ever since we did the Haunted Walk of Kingston a couple of years ago and found out it was apparently haunted. While it was very nice, turns out the Secret Garden Inn, just a stone's throw away and where we stayed last fall, is nicer. And also haunted (who knew). Then, the husband and I day-tripped out of town to visit friends. And then, the week was over. I only took 3 pictures that week!




Week 3 - Shopping, shopping and more shopping

Also known as, the week where I took NO pictures. I spent a fortune at Ikea on decor items for the kids' rooms. I found some great deals on clothes for me at Winners (and I can usually NEVER find clothes at Winners, but this time, jackpot!). I found new bedding and linens, curtains, etc. for the master bedroom at Home Outfitters. I had lunch by myself on an outdoor patio. I went shopping in Westboro with my sister M and we went to see the movie Julie & Julia together (really cute movie, I highly recommend it - Meryl Streep is AWESOME as Julia Child). I bought new blinds for the scraproom. I bought some new (smaller!!) jeans at Reitmans, and I bought white jeans, which I'd been looking for all summer. The girl and I took do a practice run on the bus to Carleton U, and had a lovely lunch in the Glebe. I went into a laundry and ironing frenzy on the weekend. I managed to get a tiny bit of scrapbooking in, and got 3 2-page layouts done. To be posted at a later date ... my scraproom is currently all packed up as it's being painted.

And then, all of a sudden, it was Sunday night, and just like that, vay-cay was OVER.

And, also just like that, this post is OVER. It's 6:30 a.m., time to have breakfast, make my lunch and reluctantly commute back to the grind! Have a great week, everyone!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks like you had a great time and did lots of great things. Next year vaycay will be just as fun, keep thinking about that while your working away. lol

Samantha said...

Sounds and looks like fun. So where was that cottage? It looks beautiful! I love love love kingston. It's just so pretty there and so many things to do. We are headed there shortly. lol. I know there are lots of things to do here as well but it's always different when you are the tourist.