Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hi, still alive!

Another week went by without blogging. Apologies to my faithful readers, lol!!

Let's see, a recap of the last 7 days ...

Thursday June 19: We went out for a family dinner to celebrate the boy's birthday one day early, since he was having friends over on his actual birthday. We had a nice time, and let the boy open his presents when we got home. He's now the proud owner of an XBox 360 Elite. Just shoot me. Those things cost. But, that's all he got!

Friday June 20: Four boys. Excitement. Loudness. A trip to the store to buy 3 more controllers, and 3 games (the boy had quite the money and gift card stash - he financed the whole outing). Back home for pizza, ice cream cake and sleepover madness. The girl escapes the madness by sleeping over at a friend's house. Smart. My sister and her husband come for a visit - we sip wine and catch up on things. Strangely, the boys crash out early (midnight-ish).

Saturday, June 21: The boy wakes me at 5 a.m. to let me know he just threw up. Proceeds to throw up every half hour thereafter. Other boys are fine. Instead of taking them to the inside activity/fun park as promised, the husband and I feed them breakfast (the boy throws up at the sight of it) and calls are made home for an early pick-up. They're gone by 10 a.m., and the husband and I sit in the back yard and stare at each other all day (with cleaning-up-puke breaks). It's so quiet all day, we wonder if that's what life without kids would be like (well, except for the cleaning up puke part, which kind of brings us back to reality).

Sunday, June 22: The boy wakes and feels better. Looks like it was a 24-hour stomach thing. I putter around the house, make a half-hearted attempt at laundry, and take the kids to spend a couple of hours with their grandmother. Then the husband and I sit in the back yard and stare at each other some more. We decide to go on a weight loss challenge together. We lay out the ground rules, make our bets and shake hands to seal the deal. First one to lose 14 pounds wins. We go for a walk. We eat steak and drink wine. Ooops.

Monday, June 23: Wake up to dreary rain. Take the girl to an appointment. Take the girl back home. Get to work with 5 minutes to spare before my first meeting of the day. Postpone a planned lunch with my sister; too much work, too much rain. Rain clears up by end of day; the husband takes me for a walk again.

Tuesday, June 24: Somewhere in my Quebecois genes, I know it's St-Jean Baptiste. Yet I still go to work. Except work today is a planning retreat with my management team in a lovely spot by the river in Cantley, Quebec. Spent the day visioning, strategizing and team building. And resisting the fresh croissants and butter tarts. Remember to pick up gift cards for the teachers on my way home (whew! - another disaster averted). That night, the girl takes me for a walk. And then I make 2 cards for the boy's 2 teachers, and forget to scan them for your viewing pleasure.

Wednesday, June 25: I wake up this morning and weigh myself - I have to squint to see those tiny numbers down there now, but it looks like 4 pounds down already (I always drop about 4 pounds water weight in the first few days of eating sensibly and drinking my fill of water). Day goes downhill from there, as I deal with problem after problem at work, and all of yesterday's emails and phone calls. Only 6 more working days til vacation, though! Things get better after I spend some time with my executive coach (a.k.a. my therapist - that's what it feels like anyway!). The husband mentions he's had a weight loss "setback". Hmn. Is that victory I taste?? Or is it just another darned VEGETABLE? Pick up the boy from an end-of-school party at his friend's house. The girl takes me for a walk again. I come home, sit down at the computer, and blog. The end!

5 comments:

Robyn de Weerd said...

Oh what a cool blog format! Must copy! You are one busy chickie! Glad things are well though!

Anonymous said...

Love your short and to-the-point story. Very cool. You make yourself sound like a puppy though... having people take you for a walk. rofl

I survived the year-end crunch, although now I am stuck filing stoooopid insurance claims before the June 30 deadline. Why, oh why, didn't I marry someone whose birthday is earlier in the calendar year than mine? Why?! :P

Barbara said...

so sorry that ds ended his birthday party by being sick. That couldn't have been any fun for any of you.

Marlene said...

Love your update! So sorry to hear your son was sick on his birthday - bummer.

Jennifer said...

I love the part that you and your dh sit and look at each other. :)