Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't Blink!

At the end of each day I think, "where has this day gone?". There are so many things to do every day, each day whizzes by, and next thing you know, days grow into weeks, weeks grow into months, and months grow into years. Some days I still think of myself as being 22 years old. Then I look in the mirror, and the face staring back at me is 40. Ok, 41. Pretty good for almost 42 (actually), but still. Some days I still think of dh and I as newlyweds, but this year will be our 20th wedding anniversary. I still think of my kids as my babies, but they are growing up fast, and university looms near for the girl; high school only a couple of years away for the boy.

Last summer, my friend Carrie and I took our kids go-karting on a hot summer day. Just something fun to do. I stood at the fence surrounding the go-kart lanes and made many attempts at taking pictures of ds as he zoomed by. It was next to impossible. That's how I feel about life most days; it's impossible to savour, to slow it down, to live it, it's going by so fast! I feel as though, if I blink, I'll miss life as it goes by.


Supplies:

Patterned Paper: Scenic Route
Black alpha stickers: Making Memories
Alpha sticker squares: Scenic Route
Buttons/Brad: Miscellaneous
Rub-on alpha: American Crafts

A pretty simple layout to put together; and even though the pictures aren't that good - the go kart is barely in the frame! - the pictures actually illustrate the thought.

Ironically, life also has a way of slowing things down when necessary. I've been so busy lately, overwhelmed almost, late, behind ... at home, and at work. Heck, I'm even off my scrapping schedule - a while back I promised myself at least a couple of hours of scrapping a week, and I've barely put in 30 minutes in the last 2 weeks! Well yesterday, life gave me a big sign to SLOW DOWN. Having gotten through the winter season without catching a bad cold (I had a few colds start, but fizzle to nothing within a day), yesterday I felt like I was hit by a mack truck. Sore throat, headache, fever, body aches. I stayed home from work and lay on the couch all day. Hey, did y'all know that Cathie Lee Gifford still does a show on daytime tv? Wow, wonder what she thinks when she sees her face in the mirror. Sorry, don't mean to be catty, but that woman has aged in the last few years! Anyhow, I digress ... the point is, that life slowed down for me yesterday, it had to. And while I went back to the grind this morning, by noon I was down for the count again and I had to come home. So, I think LIFE is sending me a message ... slow down, smell the roses ... or at least, smell the couch pillows!

Hope your lives aren't whooshing by too quickly right now ... I know Robyn is probably wishing for days to go by quickly, so she can get married and go off to Holland and France! Then again, she might want the next eleven days to go by slowly, so she can get everything done that needs to be done! Thinking of ya, Robyn ... good luck with all the preparations!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hope your feeling better by now...and this post gave me alot to think about :)

Barbara said...

I know exactly what you mean about life whizzing by. It seems like just yesterday that I was a carefee teenager, and now my boys are there. Sometimes I need a reminder to stop an savour the moments.Thanks for the reminder.

Great layout by the way!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Nathalie. You're right. Life does go by waaaaaay too fast, especially once you have kids. :S

I love your LO. I really like how you took less than perfect photos and added the thought-provoking journalling. It's all perfectly executed. (I think you should submit it to SS. :))

Kataroo said...

JUstwanted to say thank-you for the amazing make my day comment on my blog today you rock!!