Sunday, May 17, 2009

Scraps of My Life

It's been so long since my last post (sorry, blog world), and there's lots to report on. I could probably do an entire post on each story/event but then I'd never catch you up. So here's a (somewhat) condensed version ...

1. May 3 - The husband builds my new scrap desk and I reorganize and set up my new scrap room. This event definitely deserves its own post (I have lots of pictures!!) but here's a preview - it's the 2nd (new) half of my scrap closet.

2. May 6 - I hit goal at Weight Watchers. Twenty-nine pounds lost! I can't believe I did it! Now I'm in the maintenance phase, which is 6 weeks of adjusting points etc. to figure out how I should eat to maintain my weight. I am really committed to keeping the weight off, but I think this will be more challenging than the actual weight loss.

3. May 7, 8, 9 - The boy starred in Aladdin Junior, a musical put on by his school. He was one of the narrators - a pretty big part actually. He did beautifully; we are so proud!!!

4. May 7 - We have a surprise party for one of my staff going on mat leave. I had spent a few nights that week making a baby album for her - she knows she's having a girl so I got to play with pink!! No pictures - Had no time to scan. She loved it (and someone actually enquired about paying me to make one for their grandchild - flattering, but when you count supplies and time it really isn't much of an affordable gift!).

5. May 9 - After a week of internet surfing, the husband and I drove out (sans kids) to the Rideau Lakes area to look at a possible cottage rental. Met the agent at a crossroads and followed him to the cottage. Joked that the guy would turn down the small dirt road leading to the cottage we rented for 10 years ... imagine our surprise when he did. The cottage we looked at is just a few away from where we used to rent, it's over on the next bay. It's a 4-bedroom with modern kitchen and bathroom, lots of conveniences, nice waterfront, comes with small fishing boat and kayaks. And best of all - pets are allowed. So we rented for the first week of vacation (3rd week in July). After visiting the cottage, we visited friends who live on Sand Lake.

6. May 10 - Mothers' Day! The boy got me two beautiful necklaces from Reitman's and a gift card to Black's. The girl gave me a gift card to Reitmans's (knowing that I need clothes desperately right now!). The husband took me to dinner, but technically it was not for Mothers' Day, as I repeatedly tell him every year - I am not his mother, and his kids are old enough to take care of MD by themselves, so he's now officially off the hook (I know, I know, most mothers don't share that sentiment).

7. May 11 to 13 - Feeling absolutely overwhelmed at work. Back to back meetings means I don't have time to actually do anything and deadlines are slipping. Everybody wants a piece of me. I feel overtired, cranky and beat up. I don't enjoy that feeling at all.

8. May 13 - Lexi goes to the vet. Nothing to worry about, I just need to get her heartworm/ticks/fleas meds and decide to get her tested for heartworm at the same time. She needs a blood test. As soon as she walks in the door, she clearly has a flashback to her spaying. Ever try to move a 65 pound dog that will not budge? It took 3 techs and lots of high-pitched excited talking, not to mention handfuls of treats, to entice her to the back for the test. Once there she was calm (aka terrified) and the boy cuddled with her while they did the blood test. Look how cute she looks with her doggie bandaid ... !

9. May 14 - fever, headache and general ickiness. Ah, so that's what May 11-13 was all about ... I was brewing something. Stayed home sick (and mostly stayed off the blackberry). Slept all morning, scrapped a bit in the afternoon, started feeling human again in the evening.

10. May 15 - went to work though I could have used one more day at home. Left early though, as we were invited to accompany the girl to an awards ceremony at Ottawa U, for a French as a second language contest she competed in two weeks ago. Being invited to the ceremony meant she won something but we didn't know what. Top prize was full tuition for one year at Ottawa U or Carleton. She won 3rd prize - $225 and some French books. Her school team also won the team trophy in their category (core French). We are so proud of her.

11. May 16 - yard work, rain or shine! And it was mostly RAIN. Stood in the absolute pouring rain at the nursery yesterday morning picking out flagstone for a little path off our patio. I mean it was POURING. The husband and I were drenched but kept on working out there til mid afternoon. The backyard is really coming together, and the front yard has really been siimplified!

12. May 17 - today we are going to the hunt camp with our good friends. Really looking forward to a day of relaxation. It's going to be cold, but at least it won't be rainy!

So I was going to leave you with a layout - but now my scanner won't scan. It'll print; it'll copy; but it won't scan. Argh! Next time then.

Ciao!!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, are you EVER busy! Congrats to you on the WW goal... and hurray for the cottage rental! Love the scrap closet. Love the puppy picture. Congrats to the girl on the award and to the boy on the musical production! Happy to hear about your Mother's Day. Can totally relate to the stress at work scene. UGH! And I hope you're enjoying the rest of the weekend in the woods! lol

Nathalie (famille1999) said...

Talk about being busy!! Well, looks like a few congratulations are in order. To your ds and your dd and a big one for you too for hitting your goal!!! And it looks like you'll be able to go shopping for new stuff too. That's cool!

Take care & have a great week.