Thursday, July 10, 2008

Meet Lexi

Well faithful blog readers, there are big, big changes coming for my little family of four. This Sunday, we will become a little family of five. See that cute bundle of pup to the right? After years of discussion, months of serious consideration, weeks of agonizing, and days of lively debate, we have finally taken the plunge. We are going to be Dog People.

Last Sunday morning, we broke the news to the boy. Told him the decision was made, and we were going to start visiting breeders that very day in order to start our research and our hunt for the perfect purebred chocolate lab pup. Now what you might not know about the boy is that he has desperately wanted a dog since before he was born. "Dog" might very well have been his first word. He has asked for a dog for every birthday and Christmas in memory. He has begged, pleaded, and quietly wished for years. Just the day before, when I told him it was a beautiful day out, he said to me "No Mom, a beautiful day would be one where I got to pick out a puppy of my very own". That just may be what swayed me to finally give my ok for this huge step.

So off we went on a Sunday drive that spanned much of Eastern Ontario ... first we visited a breeder about an hour and a half west. Wonderful place, beautiful dogs and pups, but the pups were only about 3 weeks old (and can't be adopted until 8 weeks old). We were hoping for a puppy that would be available sooner, to give us more summer to train her. The breeder directed us to another breeder about an hour east of her, with 7 week old pups sired by the same father as her pups. And so it turns out that our research expedition was more fruitful than anticipated; we found our puppy.

We've named her Lexi (short for Alexia. What? If she's going to be part of our little Greek family she should have a Greek name, no?). She's getting her shots on Saturday and we'll be picking her up on Sunday morning. The boy and I have done some preliminary PetSmart shopping and will be back there today buying the rest of the essential supplies. Turns out dogs are more expensive than they initially look, lol. The price of the dog is just the start!

So I was all keen on naming her Lexy (with a "y") as I had visions of using up all those unused x's and y's in my scrapbook alpha stash ... but I got outvoted by the rest of the family, who insist the proper spelling is with an "i". Speaking of scrapbooking, I made a visit to the ScrapBox this week (remember, I'm on vay-cay) to pick up some more Stickles and walked out with the
Love, Elsie doggie paper collection...**blush** (I swear, this dog is much more than a scrapbooking opportunity to me ... lol).

So wish us luck. Training tips and words of encouragement welcome!!! :o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh!!! She's too cute! :) Congrats on your new puppie! I'm sure that ds must be on pins & needles waiting for Sunday to finally arrive!

Can't wait to see all the pages that you'll make with the cute pics of all the bonding that she's going to be doing with your family member! ;) And, at least you still get to use up your "x"! LOL

Enjoy the rest of your vacations my friend. :)

Jennifer said...

She's so cute. We have a purebred chocolate lab named Kato. He was 10 yesterday. He's such a great dog. But dh use to breed and train dogs so Kato is well trained.

I would highly recommend labs!

Enjoy the new family member :)

Dianebscrp said...

Wow! Teddy must be so excited. Lexi is beautiful and I love the name you picked for her. Can't wait to see the pages you will do about her. I'd like to know what Rufus thinks about the new family member...

Robyn de Weerd said...

Oh how wonderfully exciting! "The Boy" must be just beside himself! Remember to be tough and strong...because they're SO cute they'll just win you over....hey, I know you'll be fine! good luck and take lots of photos!

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh, I'm in LOVE. Congratulations! :D
And hey, the next time you're out my way, e-mail me and we'll do coffee or something! Seriously. I'm like 2 minutes from the Scrapbox!

stefferqc said...

Just so cute! I assume that you have him now? Get any sleep yet? Its like having a baby all over again, isn't? But we so love puppies, that its all worth it!

Anonymous said...

I got to meet Lexi when she was outside with your DH on Friday night. (He offered the mailbox for the avon books :O) ) She is simply adorable. Congrats on your new member of your family!

Kerry :O)