Saturday, September 12, 2009

Proud Mama

So you probably think this post is about something awesome one of my kids did. As awesome as my (human) kids are, this post is actually about my awesome canine kid, Lexi.

I never really understood this whole dog thing until Lexi came into our lives. Couldn't really comprehend how people could think of pets as their kids. But you know, those darned puppies can grow on you in a major way, and one morning you wake up and boom, you feel more like a parent than a dog owner.

And while my kids have given me plenty - and I mean PLENTY - of 'proud parent' moments over the last 18 years, this post is about a proud puppy parent moment that happened just this past weekend. You see, our little labrador (you know, the one with webbed paws?), who had been resisting the water in a major way so far - well, she learned how to SWIM. She's been playing in shallow water for some time now, but absolutely refusing to venture out past her tummy. I think it's probably because she walked onto the water off the dock earlier this summer (thinking it was solid ground?) and got the shock of her life.

Last weekend, we rented a small cottage (if it doesn't have a bathroom, can I call it a cottage? or should I call it a cabin?) at a campground on Sand Lake. The cabin was right in front of the beach, and a 7 year old chocolate lab named Reese was staying at a neighboring cabin. Reese loved to play in the water, swimming out to fetch a frisbee or a stick. Lexi spent a good bit of time watching and a good bit of time walking in the very shallow water trying to play too. Eventually she got brave and went pretty deep, and I think a couple of times she had all four paws off the bottom. But that's as far as things got at this particular location.

On the Monday, we were hanging out with friends at a dock and boat launch near their house (also on Sand Lake), and someone threw in a stick for Lexi, which went a little bit further than intended. Into the water she went, and when the water got deep, she just ... kept going. Doin' the doggie paddle. Oh em gee, she was swimming. She was so excited at her newfound freedom, she ignored the stick and kept going. Towards the middle of the lake. Lol. While dh was tearing his shirt off and getting ready to jump in after her, our friend threw in a shoe and got her to fetch it and bring it back. From that moment on, my puppy girl swam like a pro.

Now it might have been lake water from all the splashing around, but I'm pretty sure I felt a tear of joy or two on my cheeks. Awwww, my little baby is growing up into such a big dog! It's not that long ago that she was just a little puppy, graduating from puppy school:


Not to be outdone, of course, my human kids also make me proud. The boy has had a great start to the school year, approaching grade 8 with enthusiasm. He's had a test already (for which he studied at the cabin during the long weekend - now that's dedication!) - he scored 106%. It would appear we have another overachiever in the family, lol!

And the girl is now officially a university student. She's putting her $282 bus pass to good use, using transit like a pro, and she's got such a sparkle in her eyes, thrilled with her program and her classes. Tomorrow, my baby girl will turn 18. Not such a baby anymore, eh.

So I'll leave you with another proud puppy parent moment, our little Lexi finally getting her sea legs and getting comfortable on the boat. We've gone from having to pick her up (70 pounds, aye) and carrying her in, to her just jumping in on her own. And she seems to like riding up at the front, with the wind in her hair ...


Ciao, have a great weekend!!

1 comment:

Robyn de Weerd said...

How awesome! Lexi loves to swim now! Give her big kisses from me!