Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's the little things ...

They say it's the little things that make you happy. Well in this case it's a big thing. A boot big enough for my big calves, that is.

My whole entire life, no matter my weight situation, I've always had large calves. It's gotten worse with age I think (ok, maybe with weight, too). I find it so depressing trying to find boots that fit. I bought a pair last year, but they were riding boot style, with a lower heel, and not all that girly, to tell the truth.

But yesterday, while taking a brief walk on the commercial level of my office building, I walked into a shoe store, saw a pair of boots I liked, asked for help, was told they were the one style that came in a wide calf, tried them on, they fit, they were on 20% off sale, I just happened to have a coupon for 20% off as well in my purse, so I got them for $94 tax in ... 40% off original price! And they fit! And they're girly!

So like I said - it's the little things that make you happy.

Another reason I'm happy today is that I have the day off work. It's Rememberance Day, and government is closed for the day. In truth, I think we should trade off this holiday for Family Day (which, starting last year, is a provincial holiday in February which the kids get but parents who work in federal government don't). I don't know anyone who actually goes to Rememberance Day ceremonies on this holiday - most people start their Christmas shopping (great opportunity to hit Toys R Us without the kids). I was actually going to go in to work today, because I have so much catching up to do, but I brought work home instead. We'll see how that goes. And while I won't be going to any ceremonies, I will make sure to observe a moment of silence at 11:00 while watching the downtown ceremony on tv.

And then maybe, just maybe, I'll spend a bit of time at my scrap desk doing some little thing. Because (say it with me), it's the little things that make you happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love those moments where the planets line up and you find the perfect thing that you need at the perfect price!!! :) I'm happy for you and those boots are too cute!

I hope you have a great day off! I'm working today. I get neither of those holidays here but dh does... even if he's working for the provincial gvt not the federal. ;)

Jennifer said...

I have the same problems with boots. I wear a size 6...mail me some!

Barbara said...

What a great find!

Anonymous said...

Great boots! :) And yes, I have big calves too... I always have, but when I started running again, they got bigger. *sigh* I need to go boot shopping too.

As for Remembrance Day, I agree with you... people seem to forget the significance of the day, but to me, it seems disrespectful NOT to give employees the day off. If the stores were CLOSED as they are in other provinces, we wouldn't be facing the whole shopping issue. :S

I spent the morning at my sons' school on November 11th. I attended their assembly, and the kids were amazingly well behaved and so very solemn. I think the schools do a great job at teaching the kids about the sacrifices our soldiers made (and are still making). Maybe the next generation will care more about the act of remembrance instead of shopping.